RadosGW S3 API - Bucket Versions

Hello!

I have a great deal of interest in the ability to version objects in buckets via the S3 API. Where is this on the roadmap for Ceph?

This is a pretty useful feature during failover scenarios between zones in a region. For instance, take the example where you have a region with two zones:

us-east-1
us-west-1

In the us region, east is master, west is secondary.

In the cast where us-east-1 fails, we want to failover to us-west-1. Let us assume that we have versioned all of our objects in a bucket. This means that every version of an object should map to a different object in Ceph. So, in the case of a us-east-1 failure, clients could still write new versions of an object to us-west-1 until us-east-1 becomes available again.

I am working under the assumption that after the restoration of service of us-east-1, objects written to us-west-1 will replicate to us-east-1, however. Is that the case?

I realize that this is just a convenience and that we could embed a version number in our object names somehow, but that is somewhat less... clean? Plus we cannot re-use code that was written against S3. :(

Thoughts, information?