Re: How to deploy ceph with a Debian version other than stable (Hello James Page ^o^)

Le 08/01/2014 02:46, Christian Balzer a écrit :
It is what it is.
As in, sid (unstable) and testing are named jessie/sid
in /etc/debian_version, including a notebook of mine that has been
"sid" (as in /etc/apt/sources.list) for 10 years.
This naming convention (next_release/sid) has been in place for at least 2
generations, probably longer.

ceph-deploy needs to know what version, release, and codename is
dealing with *exactly* because
it will take decisions based on that information. If your host is just
"sid" I think it should work since the
repo does list it: http://ceph.com/debian/dists/

This may well be, but is doomed to failure, because even if I were to
manually edit the version to sid, a future update will eventually revert
that change again.
The real solution is for ceph-deploy to parse the version correctly, if it
indeed is supposed to support unstable and testing.

Regards,

Christian
Hello.

I don't know if ceph-deploy really parse /etc/debian_version, but if it is, perhaps it should use instead :
# lsb_release --codename

Which shows sid on my desktop, and wheezy on my servers.

On my desktop :
$ cat /etc/debian_version
jessie/sid

On my servers :
# cat /etc/debian_version
7.3

I can't test on a testing, I don't know if it will show jessie or sid.