How to deploy ceph with a Debian version other than stable (Hello James Page ^o^)

Hello,

I previously created a test cluster using the Argonaut packages available
in Debian testing aka Jessie (atm).
Since it was pointed out to me that I ought to play with something more
recent, I bumped the machines to sid, which has 0.72.2 packages natively.

The sid packages do not include ceph-deploy, so I tried mkcephfs, which I
was familiar with from the older version.
It warned about being deprecated, but seemed to create all the correct
config data, keyrings, etc.

However when starting ceph after the install it fired up the monitor OK
but failed at the first OSD with:
---
=== osd.2 ===
Mounting xfs on irt03:/var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-2
Error ENOENT: osd.2 does not exist.  create it before updating the crush map
failed: 'timeout 10 /usr/bin/ceph                       --name=osd.2           --keyring=/etc/ceph/keyring.osd.2                        osd crush create-or-move                        --                      2                       0.36   root=default                     host=irt03                      '
---

Guess something wasn't created properly after all or not at the place
where it was expected to be.

So I grabbed the latest ceph-deploy, ceph-deploy_1.3.4-1~bpo70+1_all.deb,
and tried that, but as I feared from its name this is expecting nothing
newer than Wheezy:
---
[ceph_deploy.cli][INFO  ] Invoked (1.3.4): /usr/bin/ceph-deploy mon create irt03
[ceph_deploy.mon][DEBUG ] Deploying mon, cluster ceph hosts irt03
[ceph_deploy.mon][DEBUG ] detecting platform for host irt03 ...
[irt03][DEBUG ] connected to host: irt03
[irt03][DEBUG ] detect platform information from remote host
[ceph_deploy][ERROR ] UnsupportedPlatform: Platform is not supported: debian  jessie/sid
---

Other than a manual deploy (which I tried before and failed, probably
because the documentation for that is not quite in touch with version
reality/variety and at points makes assumptions/omits steps), what's left
to try?

Is this the expected state of affairs, as in:
1. The current Debian Sid package can't create a new cluster by itself
2. ceph-deploy from ceph.com isn't available for Jessie or sid

Regards,

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/