Re: How to deploy ceph with a Debian version other than stable (Hello James Page ^o^)

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 10:46:42 +0900 Christian Balzer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 08:35:44 -0500 Alfredo Deza wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Joao Eduardo Luis
> > <joao.luis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > On 01/07/2014 05:14 AM, Christian Balzer wrote:
> > >>
> [snip]
> >

> > The problem here is that you are using a hybrid version of Debian. Is
> > it sid? or is it jessie?
> >
> It is what it is.
> As in, sid (unstable) and testing are named jessie/sid
> in /etc/debian_version, including a notebook of mine that has been
> "sid" (as in /etc/apt/sources.list) for 10 years.
> This naming convention (next_release/sid) has been in place for at least
> 2 generations, probably longer.
>
> > ceph-deploy needs to know what version, release, and codename is
> > dealing with *exactly* because
> > it will take decisions based on that information. If your host is just
> > "sid" I think it should work since the
> > repo does list it: http://ceph.com/debian/dists/
> >
> This may well be, but is doomed to failure, because even if I were to
> manually edit the version to sid, a future update will eventually revert
> that change again.
> The real solution is for ceph-deploy to parse the version correctly, if
> it indeed is supposed to support unstable and testing.

To clarify this, I changed the version to "sid" which didn't work.
Changing it to "7.2" (Wheezy) gets it past that check and the mon
installed and running.
However I'm fully expecting it to fail in subtle ways at some later point.

So I guess this means exactly what I suspected, no supported way by native
Debian distro tools (aka mkcephfs) or the inktank ceph-deploy to create
ceph clusters in Debian sid (testing is still at Argonaut I think).

Hopefully James Page will pipe up at some point. ^.^

Regards,

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/