Re: crush chooseleaf vs. choose

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > 'ceph osd crush tunables optimal'
> >
> > or adjust an offline map file via the crushtool command line (more
> > annoying) and retest; I suspect that is the problem.
> >
> > http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/crush-map/#tunables
>
> That solves the bug with weight 0, thanks.
>
> But is still get the following distribution:
>
>   device 0:     423
>   device 1:     453
>   device 2:     430
>   device 3:     455
>   device 4:     657
>   device 5:     654
>
> Host with only one osd gets too much data.

I think this is just fundamentally a problem with distributing 3 replicas
over only 4 hosts.  Every piece of data in the system needs to include
either host 3 or 4 (and thus device 4 or 5) in order to have 3 replicas
(on separate hosts).  Add more hosts or disks and the distribution will
even out.

sage