Re: crush chooseleaf vs. choose

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> On 01/02/2014 10:40 AM, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > I try to understand the default crush rule:
> >
> > rule data {
> >
> >          ruleset 0
> >
> >          type replicated
> >
> >          min_size 1
> >
> >          max_size 10
> >
> >          step take default
> >
> >          step chooseleaf firstn 0 type host
> >
> > step emit
> >
> > }
> >
> > Is this the same as:
> >
> > rule data {
> >
> >          ruleset 0
> >
> >          type replicated
> >
> >          min_size 1
> >
> >          max_size 10
> >
> >          step take default
> >
> >          step choose firstn 0 type host
> >
> >          step choose firstn 1 type osd
> >
> >          step emit
> >
> > }
> >
> > Or what is the correct way to translate ?chooseleaf? into ?choose??
> >

> iirc, chooseleaf goes down the tree and descents into multiple leafs to find
> what you are looking for.
>
> choose goes into that leaf and tries to find what you are looking for without
> going into subtrees.

Right.  To a first approximation, these rules are equivalent.  The
difference is that the second won't handle the case where you have a host
with many/all OSDs tht are marked out (data will get shifted to the
surviving OSD or you will get no results), whereas the chooseleaf rule
will handle things properly and maintain a balanced distribution.

sage