Re: Inktank Ceph Enterprise Launch

Loic, Don,

From an Inktank perspective, we're keen to see a wide variety of ecosystem tools built around Ceph, especially from developers outside of Inktank. We welcome open source or other commercial tools that people want to build and if a more compelling or popular community tool comes along, we'd definitely look to have our engineers work on it and potentially package it up for our customers either as a complement or alternative to Calamari. The more diverse innovation we have in the Ceph community, the better for everyone.

We may very well open source Calamari in the medium term but right now there are some very specific things that our customers and partners want us to do with the product, which don't lend themselves well to an open source project. The most important aspect here is that we are absolutely committed to ensuring every piece of storage functionality we develop sits in Ceph and that the tools just provide a specific experience, not a different set of capabilities.

In terms of a foundation, we definitely acknowledge the benefits this will bring and share the same vision. We should have a proper community conversation about what this may look like in practice - perhaps during the next developer summit?

Neil