Re: live migration with rbd/cinder/nova - not supported?

On 09/12/2013 11:33 AM, Darren Birkett wrote:
Hi Maciej,

That's interesting.  The following also seems to suggest that nova has
those shared storage dependencies for live migration that I spoke about:

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/5938

That's obsolete for Grizzly. True live migration works fine with an
rbd-backed instance. I haven't checked Havana yet, particularly with
libvirt_image_type using rbd. If anyone's interested in checking out
the new libvirt_image_type option, now is a good time to catch
any bugs before Havana is released.

Josh

Thanks
Darren

On 12 September 2013 17:01, Maciej Gałkiewicz <macias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:macias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 12 September 2013 15:15, Darren Birkett <darren.birkett@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:darren.birkett@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
     > Hi Maciej,
     >
     > I'm using Grizzly, but the live migration doesn't appear to be
    changed even
     > in trunk.  It seems to check if you are using shared storage by
    writing a
     > test file on the destination host (in /var/lib/nova/instances)
    and then
     > trying to read it on the source host, and will fail if this test
    does not
     > succeed.  Given that we do not use a shared filesystem as such
    when using
     > RBD backed instances, I don't understand how this can succeed:

    https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py#L3726-L3761

    Apparently the code is not used in case of rbd. I didnt notice any
    issues caused by this method.

     > Seems like I might be missing something and am probably reading
    the code
     > wrong, as it sounds like you have it working.  Are there any
    particular
     > settings you had to add to nova to make it work?

    Nova does not require any changes. Only cinder.

    regards
    --
    Maciej Gałkiewicz
    Shelly Cloud Sp. z o. o., Sysadmin