Re: live migration with rbd/cinder/nova - not supported?

Hi Maciej,

That's interesting.  The following also seems to suggest that nova has those shared storage dependencies for live migration that I spoke about:

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/5938

Thanks
Darren

On 12 September 2013 17:01, Maciej Gałkiewicz <macias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12 September 2013 15:15, Darren Birkett <darren.birkett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Maciej,
>
> I'm using Grizzly, but the live migration doesn't appear to be changed even
> in trunk.  It seems to check if you are using shared storage by writing a
> test file on the destination host (in /var/lib/nova/instances) and then
> trying to read it on the source host, and will fail if this test does not
> succeed.  Given that we do not use a shared filesystem as such when using
> RBD backed instances, I don't understand how this can succeed:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py#L3726-L3761

Apparently the code is not used in case of rbd. I didnt notice any
issues caused by this method.

> Seems like I might be missing something and am probably reading the code
> wrong, as it sounds like you have it working.  Are there any particular
> settings you had to add to nova to make it work?

Nova does not require any changes. Only cinder.

regards
--
Maciej Gałkiewicz
Shelly Cloud Sp. z o. o., Sysadmin