Re: 1 particular ceph-mon never jobs on 0.67.2

Hi James,

Yes, all configured using the interfaces file.  Only two interfaces, eth0 and eth1:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

I took a single node and rebooted it several times, and it really was about 50/50 whether or not the OSDs showed up under 'localhost' or "n0".  I tried a few different things last night with no luck.  I modified when ceph-all starts by writing differet "start on" values to /etc/init/ceph-all.override.  I was grasping for straws a bit, as I just kept adding (and'ing) events, hoping to find something that works.  I tried:

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=eth0)
start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=eth0 and net-device-up IFACE=eth1)
start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=eth0 and net-device-up IFACE=eth1 and started network-services)

Oddly, the last one seemed to work at first.  When I added the "started network-services" to the list, the OSDs came up correctly each time!  But, the monitor never started.  If I started it directly "start ceph-mon id=n0", it came up fine, but not during boot.  I spent a couple hours trying to debug *that* before I gave up and switched to static hostnames.  =/  I had even thrown "--verbose" in the kernel command line so I could see all the upstart events happening, but didn't see anything obvious.

So now I'm back to the stock upstart scripts, using static hostnames, and, and I don't have any issues with OSDs moving in the crushmap, or any new problems with the monitors.  Sage, I do think I still saw a weird issue with my third mon not starting (same as the original email -- even now with static hostnames), but it was late, and I lost access to the cluster right about then and haven't regained it.  I"ll double-check that when I get access again and hopefully will find that problem has gone away too.

 - Travis