Optimal configuration to validate Ceph

Hi,

I understand that Ceph is a scalable distributed storage architecture. However, I'd like to understand if performance on single node cluster is better or worse than a 3 node cluster.
Let's say I have the following 2 setups:
1. Single node cluster with one OSD.
2. Three node cluster with one OSD on each node.

Would the performance of Setup 2 be approximately (3x) of Setup 1? (OR)
Would Setup 2 perform better than (3x) Setup 1, because of more parallelism? (OR)
Would Setup 2 perform worse than (3x) Setup 1, because of replication, etc.

In other words, I'm trying to understand do we definitely need more than three nodes to validate the benchmark results or a single/two node should give an idea of a larger scale?

Thanks,
Sushma