Re: slow request problem

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
> Hi sage,
>
> Am 14.07.2013 um 17:01 schrieb Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > On Sun, 14 Jul 2013, Stefan Priebe wrote:
> >> Hello list,
> >>
> >> might this be a problem due to having too much PGs? I've 370 per OSD instead
> >> of having 33 / OSD (OSDs*100/3).
> >
> > That might exacerbate it.
> >
> > Can you try setting
> >
> > osd min pg log entries = 50
> > osd max pg log entries = 100
>
> What does that exactly do? And why is a restart of all osds needed. Thanks!

This limits the size of the pg log.

> > across your cluster, restarting your osds, and see if that makes a
> > difference?  I'm wondering if this is a problem with pg log rewrites after
> > peering.  Note that adding that option and restarting isn't enough to
> > trigger the trim; you have to hit the cluster with some IO too, and (if
> > this is the source of your problem) the trim itself might be expensive.
> > So add it, restart, do a bunch of io (to all pools/pgs if you can), and
> > then see if the problem is still present?
>
> Will try can't produce a write to every pg. it's a prod. Cluster with
> KVM rbd. But it has 800-1200 iop/s per second.

Hmm, if this is a production cluster, I would be careful, then!  Setting
the pg logs too short can lead to backfill, which is very expensive (as
you know).

The defaults are 3000 / 10000, so maybe try something less aggressive like
changing min to 500?

Also, I think

 ceph osd tell \* injectargs '--osd-min-pg-log-entries 500'

should work as well.  But again, be aware that lowering the value will
incur a trim that may in itself be a bit expensive (if this is the source
of the problem).

It is probably worth watching ceph pg dump | grep $some_random_pg and
watching the 'v' column over time (say, a minute or two) to see how
quickly pg events are being generated on your cluster. This will give you
a sense of how much time 500 (or however many) pg log entries covers!

sage