Re: slow request problem

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013, Stefan Priebe wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> might this be a problem due to having too much PGs? I've 370 per OSD instead
> of having 33 / OSD (OSDs*100/3).

That might exacerbate it.

Can you try setting

 osd min pg log entries = 50
 osd max pg log entries = 100

across your cluster, restarting your osds, and see if that makes a
difference?  I'm wondering if this is a problem with pg log rewrites after
peering.  Note that adding that option and restarting isn't enough to
trigger the trim; you have to hit the cluster with some IO too, and (if
this is the source of your problem) the trim itself might be expensive.
So add it, restart, do a bunch of io (to all pools/pgs if you can), and
then see if the problem is still present?

Also note that the lower osd min pg log entries means that the osd cannot
be down as long without requiring a backfill (50 ios per pg).  These
probably aren't the values that we want, but I'd like to find out whether
the pg log rewrites after peering in cuttlefish are the culprit here.

Thanks!

> Is there any plan for PG merging?

Not right now.  :(  I'll talk to Sam, though, to see how difficult it
would be given the split approach we settled on.

Thanks!
sage