Re: RGW snapshots

I've looked into this a bit, and the best I've come up with is to snapshot all of the RGW pools.  I asked a similar question before: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.user/855

I am planning to have a 2nd cluster for disaster recovery, with some in-house geo-replication.

I haven't actually tried this yet.  I just setup my development cluster, and this is on my list of things to test.  The basic idea:
  • Disable geo-replication
  • Snapshot the Disaster Recovery cluster manually
  • Rollback all of the RGW pools to the snapshot I want to restore from
  • Manually restore objects from the Disaster Recovery cluster to the Production Cluster, probably using s3cmd
  • Return all of the RGW pools to the most recent snapshot
  • Re-enable geo-replication

I have several layers of safety above this, so this process is meant to be a last resort after several layers of human+code errors.  In theory, it shouldn't ever happen, but we all know how that goes.

I would like to discuss how RadosGW snapshots might work, but there doesn't seem to be much interest at this time.  The ability to use RadosGW snapshots is somewhat niche.

Craig Lewis
Senior Systems Engineer
Office +1.714.602.1309
Email clewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Central Desktop. Work together in ways you never thought possible.
Connect with us   Website  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  LinkedIn  |  Blog