Re: monitor removal and re-add

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Mandell Degerness wrote:
> Hmm.  This is a bit ugly from our perspective, but not fatal to your
> design (just our implementation).  At the time we run the rm, the
> cluster is smaller and so the restart of each monitor is not fatal to
> the cluster.  The problem is on our side in terms of guaranteeing
> order of behaviors.

Sorry, I'm still confused about where the monitor gets restarted.  It
doesn't matter if the removed monitor is stopped or failed/gone; 'ceph mon
rm ...' will remove it from the monmap and quorum.  It sounds like you're
suggesting that the surviving monitors need to be restarted, but they do
not, as long as enough of them are alive to form a quorum and pass the
decree that the mon cluster is smaller.  So 5 -> 2 would be problematic,
but 5 -> 3 (assuming there are 3 currently up) will work without
restarts...

sage