Re: increasing stability

Hi everyone,

I wanted to mention just a few things on this thread.

The first is obvious: we are extremely concerned about stability.
However, Ceph is a big project with a wide range of use cases, and it is
difficult to cover them all.  For that reason, Inktank is (at least for
the moment) focusing in specific areas (rados, librbd, rgw) and certain
platforms.  We have a number of large production customers and
non-customers now who have stable environments, and we are committed to a
solid experience for them.

We are investing heavily in testing infrastructure and automation tools to
maximize our ability to test with limited resources.  Our lab is currently
around 14 racks, with most of the focus now on utilizing those resources
as effectively as possible.  The teuthology testing framework continues to
evolve and our test suites continue to grow.  Unfortunatley, this has been
an area where it has been difficult for others to contribute.  We are
eager to talk to anyone who is interested in helping.

Overall, the cuttlefish release has gone much more smoothly than bobtail
did.  That said, there are a few lingering problems, particularly with the
monitor's use of leveldb.  We're waiting on some QA on the pending fixes
now before we push out a 0.61.3 that I believe will resolve the remaining
problems for most users.

However, as overall adoption of ceph increases, we move past the critical
bugs and start seeing a larger number of "long-tail" issues that affect
smaller sets of users.  Overall this is a good thing, even if it means a
harder job for the engineers to triage and track down obscure problems.
The mailing list is going to attract a high number of bug reports because
that's what it is for.  Although we believe the quality is getting better
based on our internal testing and our commercial interactions, we'd like
to turn this into a more metrics driven analysis.  We welcome any ideas on
how to do this, as the obvious ideas (like counting bugs) tend to scale
with the number of users, and we have no way of telling how many users
there really are.

Thanks-
sage