Newbie questions re: ceph setup

Folks,

we are trying to setup a ceph cluster with about 40 or so OSDs on our hosting provider's infrastructure. Our rollout works with Opscode Chef, and I'm driving my people to automate away everything they can.

I've worked my way through the documentation, but a few questions were left open:

1. So far, I understand that OSD ids have to be numeric, nothing else in there. What I couldn't find is whether they really have to start at 0 or 1, and whether I need to increase them stepwise? The background of my question is automation: It would make our life much simpler if I could use some calculated value for the OSD id (say, the node's decimal IP address and some local ID for the disk), because we could then statically assign them without having to know what other OSDs already exist.

2. All examples more or less state that each participating node has an identical ceph.conf file. This does not scale for me, because I don't want to update all nodes when adding a new OSD/MON/MDS/<whatever>. From my understanding of ceph, this should not be necessary anyway, because everything metadata-related goes through the MONs anyway. So:
  a. Is it sufficient to have a minimal ceph.conf on the OSDs, basically describing the local OSD parameters and containing the MON data, but no information about other OSDs?
  b. Is it sufficient to have a minimal ceph.conf on the MONs, describing only the local MON parameters, and nothing else?

If I happen to be too stupid to read the docs, just give me a gentle hint…

Cheers,
Alexander
--
adesso mobile solutions GmbH
Alexander Papaspyrou

Stockholmer Allee 24 | 44269 Dortmund
T +49 231 930 66480 | F +49 231 930 9317
Mail: papaspyrou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Web: www.adesso-mobile.de | Mobil-Web: mobil.adesso-mobile.de

Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer: Dr. Josef Brewing, Frank Dobelmann
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Dortmund
Registernummer: HRB 13763
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer gemäß § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE201541832