Newbie question re: ceph performance

Folks,

we are in the process of setting up a ceph cluster with about 40 OSDs spread over 25 or so machines within our hosting provider's infrastructure.

Unfortunately, we have certain limitations from the provider side that we cannot really overcome:

1- We only have one public network, no cluster network, and would like to host OpenStack Glance and Cinder over ceph RBD. Are we going to experience obvious performance problems (aka. does not make sense to  bother setting up the whole thing)? Networking bandwidth is up to 1GBit/s.

2. Networking is "100% switched, no collision domains", as our provider says. They won't really tell us what that means (for security reasons, whoohooo…), but I guess that they isolate hosts from each other within the same subnet to ensure that you cannot sniff another tenant's traffic. Is this going to be a problem with ceph?

3. How many MONs do we really need to have for such a setup? The machines running the MONs are quite powerful (with 16GB RAM and eight cores), and we are planning to use them for ceph (and maybe Messaging with RabbitMQ). Is this realistic, oversized, or less than we need.

I don't really look for precise statistics (I couldn't provide all parameters anyway at the moment), just for the gut feeling of the more experienced users here…

Thanks,
Alexander

--
adesso mobile solutions GmbH
Alexander Papaspyrou

Stockholmer Allee 24 | 44269 Dortmund
T +49 231 930 66480 | F +49 231 930 9317
Mail: papaspyrou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Web: www.adesso-mobile.de | Mobil-Web: mobil.adesso-mobile.de

Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer: Dr. Josef Brewing, Frank Dobelmann
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Dortmund
Registernummer: HRB 13763
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer gemäß § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE201541832