Re: Newbie questions re: ceph setup

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Papaspyrou, Alexander
<papaspyrou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> we are trying to setup a ceph cluster with about 40 or so OSDs on our
> hosting provider's infrastructure. Our rollout works with Opscode Chef, and
> I'm driving my people to automate away everything they can.
>
> I've worked my way through the documentation, but a few questions were left
> open:
>
> 1. So far, I understand that OSD ids have to be numeric, nothing else in
> there. What I couldn't find is whether they really have to start at 0 or 1,
> and whether I need to increase them stepwise? The background of my question
> is automation: It would make our life much simpler if I could use some
> calculated value for the OSD id (say, the node's decimal IP address and some
> local ID for the disk), because we could then statically assign them without
> having to know what other OSDs already exist.

They need to start from 0.  The max_osd value maintained by the
monitor bounds the number of possible osds, keeps the size of the
osdmap down, etc.

> 2. All examples more or less state that each participating node has an
> identical ceph.conf file. This does not scale for me, because I don't want
> to update all nodes when adding a new OSD/MON/MDS/<whatever>. From my
> understanding of ceph, this should not be necessary anyway, because
> everything metadata-related goes through the MONs anyway. So:
>   a. Is it sufficient to have a minimal ceph.conf on the OSDs, basically
> describing the local OSD parameters and containing the MON data, but no
> information about other OSDs?

Are you using the ceph chef recipes?
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/deployment/chef/

You should be able to get away with not putting all the osds in your
conf file, but this isn't recommended.  With the above chef recipes, I
believe the ceph.conf is generated and updated as necessary.

>   b. Is it sufficient to have a minimal ceph.conf on the MONs, describing
> only the local MON parameters, and nothing else?

The monitors need to know about all the other (local and remote) monitors.

-slang [developer @ http://inktank.com | http://ceph.com]