Re: apple-to-apple comparison in crimson prototyping

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:18 AM Sam Just <sjust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think we're cheating, as such.  I think the messenger and the
> ObjectStore implementation will indeed dominate the overall cpu usage
> and latency for reads in the common case for both classic and crimson,
> so the setup we've got for crimson is probably reasonable.  If we're
> actually worried about it, we could probably short-circuit the classic
> osd in the same way and get numbers that way?

i think Radoslaw already did so in
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/24962. and per our latest test
result [1], crimson-osd still outperforms the shortcut version.

[1] https://gist.github.com/tchaikov/6a24b13f5397e0b9985460e64a7c00a4

> Actually adding the checks (by which I mean whatever is required for
> crimson to behave like an osd, not necessarily what's in classic) is

yes, that's also my understanding.

> pretty much implementing the full read and write paths for crimson, so
> I'd guess that's where we're going anyway?

yeah. guess i just wanted to be more conservative on where we are. =)

--
Regards
Kefu Chai