Re: CephFS snapshot creation time

On Thu, 2019-03-14 at 23:52 +0100, David Disseldorp wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback Patrick and Greg...
>
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 13:09:48 -0700, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
>
> > Hello David,
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:20 PM David Disseldorp <ddiss@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I'm working on adding Samba integration with CephFS snapshots, so that
> > > they can be accessed in Explorer via file/folder right-click ->
> > > restore previous versions.
> >
> > How are you actually planning to effect a restore  from snapshot?
>
> That's all handled by the client. Basically the client takes a @GMT-X
> value from the enum response and provides it as a "timewarp" token along
> with the regular (non-snapshot) path on open. Samba then needs to do a
> reverse snap-create-time -> snap-dir lookup for path resolution.
>
> Ideally, having the snap-create-time in the snapshot's stx_btime would
> make the enum + reverse lookup more efficient, as we would be able to
> get everything via ceph_readdirplus_r(). xattr should work too though,
> be it a little slower.

I wouldn't overload stx_btime with this value as it has its own meaning,
and applications should be able to get to that value in a snapshot too.

One of the goals with statx was to make a stat struct that was
extendable. If performance is a factor then just extend ceph_statx with
a new stx_snap_btime field. If performance is not a big deal here, then
an xattr would probably be simpler to implement.

Cheers,
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>