Re: CephFS snapshot creation time

Thanks for the feedback Patrick and Greg...

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 13:09:48 -0700, Patrick Donnelly wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:20 PM David Disseldorp <ddiss@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm working on adding Samba integration with CephFS snapshots, so that
> > they can be accessed in Explorer via file/folder right-click ->
> > restore previous versions.
>
> How are you actually planning to effect a restore  from snapshot?

That's all handled by the client. Basically the client takes a @GMT-X
value from the enum response and provides it as a "timewarp" token along
with the regular (non-snapshot) path on open. Samba then needs to do a
reverse snap-create-time -> snap-dir lookup for path resolution.

Ideally, having the snap-create-time in the snapshot's stx_btime would
make the enum + reverse lookup more efficient, as we would be able to
get everything via ceph_readdirplus_r(). xattr should work too though,
be it a little slower.

Cheers, David