Re: Debian 10 (Buster) builds

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 01:05:26PM -0500, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:03 PM Paul Emmerich <paul.emmerich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > can we re-enable Debian builds for Mimic and Nautilus using Debian 10 Buster?
>
> Do you mean for development builds or releases?
>
> > Buster is currently going through the freeze process:
> > https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html (Hard freeze in 6
> > weeks)
> >
> > Despite not being out yet it's easy to install and upgrade to Buster
> > and it comes with the necessary gcc version for Ceph.
> >
> > Would be nice to have some packages available for testing to catch any
> > problems early before Buster is released.
> >
> > Can we help with this in any way? We'll probably do our own Buster
> > builds in the coming weeks, some early experiments showed a minor
> > problem with the libcurl version that also appeared on Ubuntu
> > somewhere IIRC.
>
> The problem here is that for dev builds, it is an exponential cost,
> every dev build already produces 6 repos:
>
> * CentOS 7 - default
> * CentOS 7 - notcmalloc
> * Xenial - default
> * Xenial - notcmalloc
> * Bionic - default
> * Bionic  - notcmalloc
>
> The amount of resources needed for another variation spans different
> systems and although the infrastructure would not have a problem
> building them, it would put a strain on it. I don't think there are
> any tests in the Ceph QA suite that would benefit from it either.
>
> For releases it is a bit different, it would take updating the jobs in
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/ (ceph, ceph-setup, ceph-build),
> and including 'buster'
> in the list of distros to combine when creating repos:
> https://github.com/ceph/chacra/blob/master/deploy/playbooks/roles/common/templates/prod.py.j2#L273

side topic: if I understood it (above) correctly, Luminous dist binary
packages for Bionic should being built too, right? I can't find it on
the official repository.

The only Luminous Bionic package I found there was ceph-deploy.

So to upgrade from Xenial to Bionic first I have to upgrade Ceph from
Luminous to Mimic (on Xenial) then upgrade Ubuntu to Bionic. Is that
correct?

--
Herbert