Re: Debian 10 (Buster) builds

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:03 PM Paul Emmerich <paul.emmerich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can we re-enable Debian builds for Mimic and Nautilus using Debian 10 Buster?

Do you mean for development builds or releases?

> Buster is currently going through the freeze process:
> https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html (Hard freeze in 6
> weeks)
>
> Despite not being out yet it's easy to install and upgrade to Buster
> and it comes with the necessary gcc version for Ceph.
>
> Would be nice to have some packages available for testing to catch any
> problems early before Buster is released.
>
> Can we help with this in any way? We'll probably do our own Buster
> builds in the coming weeks, some early experiments showed a minor
> problem with the libcurl version that also appeared on Ubuntu
> somewhere IIRC.

The problem here is that for dev builds, it is an exponential cost,
every dev build already produces 6 repos:

* CentOS 7 - default
* CentOS 7 - notcmalloc
* Xenial - default
* Xenial - notcmalloc
* Bionic - default
* Bionic  - notcmalloc

The amount of resources needed for another variation spans different
systems and although the infrastructure would not have a problem
building them, it would put a strain on it. I don't think there are
any tests in the Ceph QA suite that would benefit from it either.

For releases it is a bit different, it would take updating the jobs in
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/ (ceph, ceph-setup, ceph-build),
and including 'buster'
in the list of distros to combine when creating repos:
https://github.com/ceph/chacra/blob/master/deploy/playbooks/roles/common/templates/prod.py.j2#L273

One of the recurring issues is that since there aren't any tests
against Debian packages/repos for Ceph, nobody catches issues until
release time which causes
delays until the issue can be investigated and resolved. Sometimes the
fixes involve actual code changes in the Ceph repo, which requires
another round of QA
before it can be approved.

I know I'm not really answering your question here, but just trying to
clarify how tricky it is to include another distro.