Re: automatically closing stale pull requests

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:12 AM Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2018, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 7:03 AM Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Should we enable a plugin like this?
> > >
> > >         https://github.com/probot/stale
> > >
> > > It will let you configure a period of inactivity before a PR gets a
> > > message like
> > >
> > >           This issue has been automatically marked as stale because it has
> > >           not had recent activity. It will be closed if no further
> > >           activity occurs. Thank you for your contributions.
> > >
> > > and another period before the PR is closed.
> > >
> > > We have a bazillion stale open PRs.  :(
> > >
> > > My thinking is that ideally we really want something like this so tha
> > > thte open PRs reflect a real work queue.  On the other hand, we also have
> > > a big backlog of open PRs that have valid fixes (or, indirectly, bug
> > > reports) that we probably need to go through and groom before
> > > actually closing PRs.
> >
> > There may also be issues in "Need Review" that need changed back to
> > "New". For those that use Github has the SSOT for what needs reviewed,
> > it could cause issues to become lost as I would think everyone
> > frequently filters out "Need review" when searching for issues to
> > fix/triage.
>
> Unless/until we have some tool that tries to keep these in sync I think we
> have to rely on catching/checking these during the normal bug scrubs.  I
> think the auto-closing will be a longer interval (maybe ~2 months?), much
> less frequent than the bug scrubs when we should be noticing things that
> are "stuck" in Needs Review?

I don't love the idea of auto-closing because a lot of those dead PRs
are (or at least *were*) on the shoulders of reviewers and core team
members, not the submitter. Maybe we could start using a
"pending-submitter" tag or something that would be auto-closed?

Of course I also have not seen a PR scrub in...years? So maybe it's
just that that needs to become a more regular part of the workflow I
and others do. :/ Is your expectation that every bug scrub includes a
review of PRs tagged with that component, and a check of untagged PRs?