Re: automatically closing stale pull requests

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:03 PM Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Should we enable a plugin like this?
>
>         https://github.com/probot/stale
>
> It will let you configure a period of inactivity before a PR gets a
> message like
>
>           This issue has been automatically marked as stale because it has
>           not had recent activity. It will be closed if no further
>           activity occurs. Thank you for your contributions.
>
> and another period before the PR is closed.
>
> We have a bazillion stale open PRs.  :(
>
> My thinking is that ideally we really want something like this so tha
> thte open PRs reflect a real work queue.  On the other hand, we also have
> a big backlog of open PRs that have valid fixes (or, indirectly, bug
> reports) that we probably need to go through and groom before
> actually closing PRs.

I'm in favour -- it's as much a reminder to reviewers/maintainers as
it is to submitters (perhaps the message language could reflect that).
We could also add a note to the message to encourage contributors to
seek out assistance/review via IRC/lists, if they've fallen through
the cracks and got no input at all.

John