Re: Official Ceph REST API (was: mgr restful)

Hi,

On 09/06/2018 03:34 PM, John Spray wrote:

> The dashboard module also has a more complete REST API that is used
> between the backend and the frontend, but it is less suitable for
> consuming externally because it will change when the UI code requires
> it (I think this is still the case, but others can speak more
> authoritatively).

During our Dashboard F2F meeting a few weeks ago [1], we actually
discussed the possibility of establishing the Dashboard's backend REST
API to become the "official" Ceph REST API. The intention is to mark at
least a subset of the API "stable enough" in Nautilus so it can be
safely consumed by 3rd party applications. We're using Swagger [2] to
provide an interactive API documentation, which would then clearly mark
which part have been made "official" and which may still be undergoing
further development.

The challenge is to find a way that allows the dashboard to further
evolve without being blocked by the requirement of the API to remain
fully stable. API versioning might help with that, but it would also
increase the amount of legacy code we would have to maintain...

Lenz

[1] https://pad.ceph.com/p/ceph-dashboard-f2f-2018-07
[2] https://swagger.io/

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)