Re: msgr2/krb status

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 2:08 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Is this actually plausible from a cluster administrator's point of
> >> view? I've never come close to deploying and running these systems,
> >> but it seems like trying to get kerberos roles "inside of" your
> >> infrastructure layer might be a big no-no both in terms of security
> >> (you'd have accounts for your users on your infrastructure!) and in
> >> terms of organizational layout and access permissions.
> >
> > It surprised me too, but this is a big (BIG) kerberos user and this is
> > what they asked for.  They prefer this over the LDAP or AD approaches
> > because it's simpler for us to implement, is more portable (no AD
> > dependency), and it will work in any environment where their kerberos
> > users and groups are visible to the OS.  Shrug.  We'll do the other
> > options as well sooner or later...
>
> Okay, I just don't want us to get fixated on a single big user and
> make an MVP that nobody else can work with.

I agree.  I'm looking forwrd o hearing Daniel's take (as he has a
different set of users/customers he's thinking about), or any other
kerberos users on this list who want to chime in!

> [...]
> Yeah; these are good questions. What I was thinking of in particular
> is that if the client libraries are providing the "real user" info[1]
> somehow, then we can start logging *more* details like login names to
> the ceph audit log (or other places!) even if it's not fully signed.
> That's not a firm constraint but it might be useful.
> -Greg
> [1]: Obviously we can't *rely* on the client libraries for real
> secured data, so kerberos identities need to also be checked on the
> monitor as well. But voluntary compliance satisfies a lot of people!

Yeah, I agree.  We started doing something sort of like this with the
client hostname and crush_location, but there's certainly an opportunity
to log more metadata (trusted or otherwise) about the client.

sage