Re: [Ceph-maintainers] [ceph-users] v12.2.7 Luminous released

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018, Linh Vu wrote:
> Thanks for all your hard work in putting out the fixes so quickly! :)
>
> We have a cluster on 12.2.5 with Bluestore and EC pool but for CephFS,
> not RGW. In the release notes, it says RGW is a risk especially the
> garbage collection, and the recommendation is to either pause IO or
> disable RGW garbage collection.
>
> In our case with CephFS, not RGW, is it a lot less risky to perform the
> upgrade to 12.2.7 without the need to pause IO?

It is hard to quantify.  I think we only saw the problem with RGW, but
CephFS also sends deletes to non-existent objects when deleting or
truncating sparse files.  Those are probably not too common in most
environments...

> What does pause IO do? Do current sessions just get queued up and IO
> resume normally with no problem after unpausing?

Exactly.  As long as the application doesn't have some timeout coded where
it gives up when a read or write is taking to long, everything will just
pause.

> If we have to pause IO, is it better to do something like: pause IO,
> restart OSDs on one node, unpause IO - repeated for all the nodes
> involved in the EC pool?

Yes, that sounds like a great way to proceed!

sage