Re: Improving the build performance

On 28-6-2018 16:03, Erwan Velu wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been wondering why the ccache was that inefficient on the CI.
> It appear and that is confirmed by local builds that two consecutives builds of the exact same code leads to < 1% of cache hit.
> This is actually a very bad cache performance : As the cache hit is very low, the needed time to create the cache is not compensated, leading to a 10% loss of performance regarding a build without ccache.

These are my current ccache stats, and they are of different filesets:
 % ccache -s
cache directory                     /home/wjw/.ccache
primary config                      /home/wjw/.ccache/ccache.conf
secondary config      (readonly)    /usr/local/etc/ccache.conf
cache hit (direct)                  4002
cache hit (preprocessed)             740
cache miss                         14242
cache hit rate                     24.98 %
called for link                     4312
compile failed                        85
preprocessor error                    27
unsupported source language         1167
cleanups performed                   775
files in cache                      1238
cache size                           4.4 GB
max cache size                       5.0 GB

Also note that changing one of the more used header files, sort of
renders you cache useless, because then everything needs to be recompiled.

--WjW