De: "Nathan Cutler" <ncutler@xxxxxxx>
À: "Erwan Velu" <evelu@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Ceph Development" <ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Envoyé: Vendredi 6 Juillet 2018 11:17:48
Objet: Re: Improving the build performance

> So only this part is necessary to get the ccache working better:
>
>      export SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH=$(date +%D |date -f- +%s);

Do we understand the mechanism by which setting SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH
improves ccache-enabled "make check" run time?

More specifically, do we know which components of our build stack are
inserting timestamps into the build artifacts? cmake? gcc? Ceph itself?

My impression from reading the documentation on SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH is
that only the Debian versions of these tools can be relied upon to have
been patched to use SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH instead of an on-the-fly generated
timestamp.

I'm especially interested to find out if anything _inside of Ceph_ is
generating a timestamp at buildtime. That would be a Bad Thing - I
enthusiastically support the sentiments expressed at [1].

Nathan

[1] https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/timestamps/