Branch naming & Backport workflows [Was Re: Asking for approval for 12.2.5 for QE validation]

Nathan Cutler <ncutler@xxxxxxx> writes:

>> I'm thinking that we might need to change our backports workflow to go
>> for luminous-next instead of luminous by default and merging to Luminous
>> only at QE handover so that the branch is almost close to release branch
>> and we have less issues with merges and workflow when final QE is
>> happening.
>
> It will be difficult for folks to remember to target luminous-next.
>
> The work product of the release preparation phase is a SHA1 that has
> been signed off on and which then goes to QE to test. Would it be
> possible to put this "to-be-released" SHA1 into luminous-next when the
> release goes to QE? Then QE could test "luminous-next" and the release
> packages could be built from "luminous-next" as well.
>
> One of the final steps of the release process, after the official
> release packages are built and made public on download.ceph.com, would
> be to manually merge luminous-next into luminous. IIRC this is what Sage
> proposed the last time this topic came up here.

Many of the build-scripts and jenkins jobs still referred to named
branches and some breakage is expected if we try the luminous-next
approach for building. I'm not sure if we have an easier way out of
this. Alfredo, Ken any ideas here?

--
Abhishek