Re: Asking for approval for 12.2.5 for QE validation

On 19-4-2018 11:19, Nathan Cutler wrote:
Willem, i think you need to at least send a PR backporting it to
luminous, so it can be include by 12.2.6 in the worst case.

That would be a first for me, so I hope you can do some hand holding.
Or direct me to a document explaining the proces?

I read the above that I submit a PR against the luminous "tag".
If that is the case, then I need to know the tag.

I went ahead and staged the backport. See https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/21514

The process is documented, but the most important points are:

0. open the PR against "luminous" *branch* (not tag)
1. use "git cherry-pick -x" to cherry-pick commits, to ensure addition of "(cherry picked from . . .)" line in the commit message
2. the commits should already be in the master branch
3. if you need to resolve conflicts, explain the conflict resolution in the commit message 4. other than adding text after the "(cherry picked from . . .)" line, do not edit the commit message
5. once the PR is open, set "Milestone" label to "luminous"

Alternatively, if you're OK with letting the backporting team do the work for you, just:

0. open a Bug in tracker.ceph.com referring to the master PR
1. set "Backport" field to "luminous"
2. when the master PR is merged, set status to "Pending Backport"

So I could have a "dormant" jenkins-builder waiting for changes to the branch "Luminous", that will only trigger when backports are merged?
Which will then trigger when again preparation for a new release starts.

it cost some diskspace, but other than that things will be pretty silent.

--WjW