Re: RGW/ServiceMap etc

Hi Sage,

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 6:44 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I suspect there are some headaches with regard to the current structure of
> radosgw-admin code that make wrapping it up in a library with python
> bindings a painful exercise, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth the
> effort for just the realm management pieces?
>
> sage

I see those concerns as more serious then mere headaches in the short
to medium run.  The issue is not how quickly wrappers can be
developed, but how robust and serviceable long-running ceph-mgr
daemons that have loaded an RGW instance in-process will be over the
life of deployed L and M clusters, relative to some other organization
of the same code.

It's not as if I'm not a strong advocate for in-process organization
in general, there already is a librgw that does NFS, and in the longer
run, I'd like to see more integration along those lines (e.g., as we
had at Cohort with pNFS data servers and OSDs).  I think python
bindings for RGW RADOS is a lot different, though, and I'm not sold
yet that we really have to, to give the dashboard everything it
aspires to.

Is that crazy talk?

Matt

--