Re: RGW/ServiceMap etc

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 2:21 PM, Matt Benjamin <mbenjami@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> It's easy to build RGW as a library (we already do), but after
> discussion with many stakeholders, the strong preference was not to
> take this approach to integrate admin functions into ceph-mgr.
> Rather, we'd like to use the already-defined and supported admin rest
> interface.

The idea is not to put all the admin functionality in a library.
Rather, to have a minimal library that does the bits that don't make
sense in the admin REST API -- the parts that bootstrap authentication
and set up zones.

> Casey and I had thought that a more extrinsic workflow, more like how
> keytabs and Ceph keyrings are managed, integrated into deployment
> logic, would be more the way key distribuion would work.  I'd like to
> be part of a more complete discussion on why this wouldn't be the
> preferred approach.

The problem with extrinsic approaches is that they then need their own
glue to drive them from the UI.  I'd prefer to have one piece of
connecting code to drive RGW from ceph-mgr (via a minimal library for
bootstrap combined with the REST API for most things), rather than
external moving parts.

But this is why I bring it up for discussion, of course...

John