ceph-deploy's current status

Since about October of 2015, ceph-deploy has gone without a dedicated lead
doing full time development on it. I've tried keeping up with a few pull
request as they come in, and doing the occasional release.

For the past two weeks, I've gone and cleaned up the backlog of tickets that
piled up on the ceph-deploy tracker, but that is hardly enough progress.

The last large effort was to transition the OSD deployment away from ceph-disk
and into ceph-volume, producing the 2.0.0 release.

Although most of the basic Ceph features are supported, there are quite a few
that are not. The tracker has lots of examples for feature requests that aren't
implemented and would take quite the effort to get them done.

Not having a dedicated lead will cause ceph-deploy to fall further behind
piling issues and feature requests, and it is certainly not ideal to expose it
in the Ceph documentation as the recommended (basic) deployment tool if this
status-quo continues.

There is nothing currently for Ceph that does what ceph-deploy does today:
easily configure and deploy a cluster, with minimal configuration. Ideally,
I would love to see ceph-deploy piggy-back from ceph-ansible, and gain all of
the features as they are implemented there, while keeping the simple/minimalist
interface (the Gluster team does something similar with its gdeploy tool).

But then again, that also is quite a big task, and will take the effort of at
least one lead pushing through and keeping up with new changes as they are
needed.

Moving forward I think there are a couple of options:

If there is no one to lead the project in the next few weeks:

* Start a deprecation route, updating the docs to reflect its 'frozen' state
* Remove mentions from the Ceph docs
* Remove the package from the Ceph repos (this is done on a per-release basis)
* Update the Ceph docs to point to ceph-ansible usage that might
provide a similar result.

If there is interest in stepping up to help lead and work on it:

* Start addressing the somewhat large backlog of tickets
(http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-deploy/issues)
* Increase the release cadence (we are currently releasing every 5
months on average!)
* Consider using ceph-ansible as a backend to reduce the burden of
implementing new features

tl;dir
ceph-deploy hasn't had a dedicated development effort since 2015, issues
are pilling up, new features aren't getting added, and we are considering
deprecating it unless there is interest in maintenance moving forward

-Alfredo