Re: RGW RFC: Multiple-Data-Pool Support for a Bucket

Hi Robin

Reply in inline.

Thanks,
Jeegn

> On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 09:48:26AM +0800, Jeegn Chen wrote:
>> In the daily use of Ceph RGW cluster, we find some pain points when
>> using current one-bucket-one-data-pool implementation.
>> I guess one-bucket-multiple-data-pools may help (See the appended
>> detailed proposal).
>> What do you think?
> Overall I like
>
> Queries/concerns:
> - How would this interact w/ the bucket policy lifecycle code?
[Jeegn]: My understanding is that current lifecycle code will list all
objects in a bucket and delete the out-of-date object. Only the
deletion logic is related, which is covered by GC-related change.

> - How would this interact w/ existing placement policy in bucket
>   creation?
[Jeegn]: The multiple-pool-support needs data_layout_type in
RGWZonePlacementInfo to have value SPLITTED (new) while the default
value of data_layout_type is UNIFIED(old). So the existing bucket
placement is assumed to have UNIFIED in data_layout_type . To enable
this functionality, the admin need to create the new placement policy
with  SPLITTED data_layout_type set explicitly. Only the bucket
created from SPLITTED placement policy will follow the new behavior
pattern.

> - At the rgw-admin layer, what tooling should exist to migrate objects
>   between pools for a given bucket?
[Jeegn]: I don't expect the objects to be migrated between pools.Old
objects uploaded before the tail_pool switch will remain in the
original pool until they are deleted explicitly, which is the same
behavior in CephFS.