Re: fun with seastar

On 10/23/2017 10:23 PM, Haomai Wang wrote:
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 4:17 AM, Casey Bodley <cbodley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi folks,

I mentioned in last week's perf call that I've been experimenting with the
Seastar library [1] to see how well it can integrate with the ceph codebase.
So far I've managed to add bufferlist conversions to/from the seastar buffer
types, and build up a seastar messenger that can send/receive ceph Messages.
The branch [2] includes a simple echo server unit test and a README with
build instructions.

This follows some prototype work a couple years ago by Adam Emerson and
myself, dubbed Project Crimson [3], to evaluate Seastar as the basis for a
low-latency OSD. Interesting parts of this project include a Cap'n
Proto-based messenger and an async ObjectStore interface with Memstore
implementation.
I'm also interested on seastar, but how we get benefit from it to
ceph? rewrite lots of codes is needed to fit seastar framework..... I
think a rough integration can't see much benefit

Right. The Seastar model imposes a lot of constraints to achieve the performance that it does, and that makes it hard to use with existing Ceph code. But for now, I think it's worth exploring what shape such an OSD would take, what early steps we could take to get something working, and what the biggest challenges would be going forward.

-Casey

[1] https://github.com/scylladb/seastar
[2] https://github.com/cbodley/ceph/commits/wip-seastar-msg
[3] https://github.com/cohortfsllc/crimson