Re: fun with seastar

On 10/23/2017 11:25 PM, Mark Nelson wrote:
Hi Casey!

On 10/23/2017 03:17 PM, Casey Bodley wrote:
Hi folks,

I mentioned in last week's perf call that I've been experimenting with
the Seastar library [1] to see how well it can integrate with the ceph
codebase. So far I've managed to add bufferlist conversions to/from the
seastar buffer types, and build up a seastar messenger that can
send/receive ceph Messages. The branch [2] includes a simple echo server
unit test and a README with build instructions.

This follows some prototype work a couple years ago by Adam Emerson and
myself, dubbed Project Crimson [3], to evaluate Seastar as the basis for
a low-latency OSD. Interesting parts of this project include a Cap'n
Proto-based messenger and an async ObjectStore interface with Memstore
implementation.

So after I saw your initial work on project crimson a month or two ago I went out and started working through the seastar tutorial. I never really got past screwing around with it since I've been tied up in other stuff, but it seems like you must like seastar enough to be willing to sink some time into it. Where are you planning on taking this next?

Mark

I don't think there are any solid plans yet, but I think it would be cool to hook up a ceph messenger to Adam's memstore and see how well it does with something like rados bench.

-Casey

[1] https://github.com/scylladb/seastar
[2] https://github.com/cbodley/ceph/commits/wip-seastar-msg
[3] https://github.com/cohortfsllc/crimson