Re: multi-line comments

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Amit <amitkuma@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> Thanks for writing in..
>
> Why I prefer /* */
>
> 1. I believe multiline text comment is one entity - which you want to
> logically keep together. Line breaks in such a comment are nothing more
> than places to wrap text, so breaking it up into many "separate"
> comments makes no sense to me though. Therefore, I construct a single
> comment block around the whole thing - using /* */.
>
> 2. For commenting out code, each line is its own logical unit, so using
> consecutive "//"s is ok - sometimes. This is especially true if
> individual lines could be commented back "in" for some reason, but not
> all of them. Though if you want to comment out a whole block code where
> it will never make sense to partially comment it in/out, you may still
> prefer to use /* */ - again to group everything together logically and
> visually.

these are all subjective view points. and they are not backed by
facts. in other words, the same applies to "//".

> 3. /* */ called Block comments hence comment blocks should be enclosed
> within these. Descriptive blocks can be used in function Header, file
> headers etc.

the same applies to "//". i don't think name of "Block comment" is
convincing enough to me.

> 4. Even standard documentation tool (doxygen) generated multiline
> comments as /* */ instead of //

please note, doxygen does not "generate" comment.

and, the c++ mode of emacs, which is not a standard editor, though,
uses "//" for block comment by default.

> Though line comments are OK too, But why not to use block comments which
> are meant for same purpose....

vice versa.

--
Regards