Re: multi-line comments

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 4:22 AM, kefu chai <tchaikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> hi Amit,
>>
>> i found that you started to encourage developers to use "/* */" for
>> multiple-lined comment while reviewing pull requests. IIUC, it's more
>> of a gray area, and sort of a personal preferences. so i don't
>> understand why we need to go this way. and i believe, in modern C++
>> practice, "//" is more common[0], and works better for developers. in
>> the sense that, it's more readable, conforms to C++ standards, and
>> works just fine with editors/tools.
>>

> Similarly, do we have a rule or guidance about contractions anywhere?
>
> I can see how that might be desirable for non-native english speakers,
> but it's not a rule of any kind that I'm aware of. Do we want it to
> be? (...perhaps I should add the ceph-china list to this CC).

Based on the discussion on https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/16705,
there doesn't seem to be much support for removing contractions.

I sympathise with John W's original intent on that PR to make it
easier to sync up upstream docs with commercial products that might
have an IBM-ish style, but I don't think it makes sense to make the
change without making it a rule, and I think it's not something that's
desirable as a rule.

I would welcome a style guide for our upstream docs though, so that we
could have a place to refer to for any rules we do want to have.

John

1. As I write that, I realise it's weird that in English we sometimes
use in- to mean opposite and sometimes not!  What a language...