Re: ceph-mgr setup magic

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is some goofy behavior with the systemd unit files that tries to
> make a new ceph-mgr daemon automagically appear next to the mons during a
> cluster upgrade:
>
> - The ceph-mon@.service triggers ceph-mgr@ to start
> - The ceph-mgr@.service tries to create a ceph-mgr key using whatever
> mon key it can find
>
> This was intended to ease the upgrade path by auto-creating ceph-mgr
> daemons along the way.
>
> Do we really want this?  I was reminded this behavior is here because of
> #19994, which points out that this isn't implemented for upstart (still
> used by trusty 14.04).

I was thinking of it as a temporary thing for Kraken, because mgr
didn't really do anything so it seemed unreasonable to make people
jump through manual hoops at the time, and the tools support wasn't
there.

For luminous I'm kind of ambivalent about whether to remove it in the
name of cleanliness or leave it in in the name of convenience.

John