Re: Not starting a OSD journal

On 30-1-2017 10:17, Kostas Liakakis wrote:
> On 2017-01-29 22:09, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>> The disadvantage is that there will be a double write per original write:
>>  (ceph) first write is to the journal-file
>>     (zfs) write is stored in the write queue
>>     (zfs) write to ZIL(ssd) if write is synced write
>>     (zfs) async write to disk when write slot is available
>>  (ceph) read from zfs-store,
>>     (zfs) delivers data either arc(ram) or l2arc(ssd) or HD
>>  (ceph) writes data to filestore.
>>     (zfs) write is stored in the write queue
>>     (zfs) write to ZIL(ssd) if write is synced write
>>     (zfs) async write to disk when write slot is available
>>
>> And I hoped to forgo the Ceph journal write/read cycle.
> You've got a slight misconception there, not that it matters much to
> your problem.
>
> A Ceph OSD will never read its journal under normal operation. OSD will
> only commit data to the journal before it commits them to its filestore.
> The journal is only replayed after an OSD crash or otherwise abnormal
> termination.

Ah, Oke .. Thanx for the clarification.

This is also how ZFS does it. The ZIL is only read in case a node
crashes and transactions need to be replayed.

> The way Ceph OSDs w/ filestore has been put in place I don't think there
> is a way to fully utilize zfs features.

I'm running some benchmarks with a simple config just to see what is
going on. And your explanation is in accordance with what I was seeing.
Although I do see some reads from the journal, but not at the same rate
things are written.

Guess I'm going to be toying a bit more....

--WjW