Re: Not starting a OSD journal

I'm rummaging thru the options, but I do not really see an option to
fully disable journaling?

One of the reasons for testing that is that ZFS already has very good
journaling functionality. So I'd like to see what kind of performance
difference that makes.

Or is this like setting journal-size to 0 or the path to /dev/null?

All writes go through the journal, so it is required. However, the journal can be in a file within the OSD data partition. To deploy an OSD in this configuration, it should be sufficient to *not* supply the JOURNAL positional parameter to "ceph-disk prepare" [1].

By doing this, you of course lose the option of putting the journal on a separate (SSD) disk. If your data partition is on an HDD, journal-on-SSD is going to give superior performance.

[1] See "ceph-disk prepare --help" for a description of these arguments.

--
Nathan Cutler
Software Engineer Distributed Storage