Re: Not starting a OSD journal

On 2017-01-29 22:09, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> The disadvantage is that there will be a double write per original write:
>  (ceph) first write is to the journal-file
>     (zfs) write is stored in the write queue
>     (zfs) write to ZIL(ssd) if write is synced write
>     (zfs) async write to disk when write slot is available
>  (ceph) read from zfs-store,
>     (zfs) delivers data either arc(ram) or l2arc(ssd) or HD
>  (ceph) writes data to filestore.
>     (zfs) write is stored in the write queue
>     (zfs) write to ZIL(ssd) if write is synced write
>     (zfs) async write to disk when write slot is available
>
> And I hoped to forgo the Ceph journal write/read cycle.
You've got a slight misconception there, not that it matters much to
your problem.

A Ceph OSD will never read its journal under normal operation. OSD will
only commit data to the journal before it commits them to its filestore.
The journal is only replayed after an OSD crash or otherwise abnormal
termination.

The way Ceph OSDs w/ filestore has been put in place I don't think there
is a way to fully utilize zfs features.

-K.