Re: Introducing Tendrl

On 09/21/2016 10:47 AM, John Spray wrote:
On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Mrugesh Karnik <mkarnik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to introduce the Tendrl project. Tendrl aims to build a
management interface for Ceph. We've pushed some documentation to the
documentation repository[1]. The documentation should provide an
understanding of the architecture and the components therein. This is
still a work in progress. So please feel free to ask questions and
make suggestions via the mailing list[2] and Github Issues[3]. There's
an IRC channel[4] as well.
Thanks Mrugesh, I've opened a series of github issues to ask for more
details on languages, protocols, security, scaling etc.  Where there
are still open questions please feel free to say so, I understand that
not everything is 100% defined.
I am a big fan of debating these choices not just on github, but also on the upstream lists. Best to put those choices out early for debate so we get feedback before spending too much effort.

Martin Bukatovic had earlier initiated a discussion around Ceph
Manager on this list. I'd like to address that here. Currently, we've
repurposed Calamari codebase as the Ceph Bridge. We're also tracking
the development of Ceph Manager. We'll be setting up a test bed to
check the Ceph Manager functionality and respond to the list with
feedback and queries.
My understanding is that the ceph_bridge code was just a prototype --
I'd suggest that you go forward either with a ceph-mgr module or using
a REST API, but the calamari-derived ceph_bridge code should
definitely go away.

John

I agree that we should be looking at building on ceph-mgr - totally makes sense to build on an active project that the ceph community is actively working on.

Regards,

Ric

Thanks.

[1] https://github.com/Tendrl/documentation