Re: Introducing Tendrl

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Mrugesh Karnik <mkarnik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to introduce the Tendrl project. Tendrl aims to build a
> management interface for Ceph. We've pushed some documentation to the
> documentation repository[1]. The documentation should provide an
> understanding of the architecture and the components therein. This is
> still a work in progress. So please feel free to ask questions and
> make suggestions via the mailing list[2] and Github Issues[3]. There's
> an IRC channel[4] as well.

Thanks Mrugesh, I've opened a series of github issues to ask for more
details on languages, protocols, security, scaling etc.  Where there
are still open questions please feel free to say so, I understand that
not everything is 100% defined.

> Martin Bukatovic had earlier initiated a discussion around Ceph
> Manager on this list. I'd like to address that here. Currently, we've
> repurposed Calamari codebase as the Ceph Bridge. We're also tracking
> the development of Ceph Manager. We'll be setting up a test bed to
> check the Ceph Manager functionality and respond to the list with
> feedback and queries.

My understanding is that the ceph_bridge code was just a prototype --
I'd suggest that you go forward either with a ceph-mgr module or using
a REST API, but the calamari-derived ceph_bridge code should
definitely go away.

John