Re: building boost statically

Hi Jesse,

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jesse Williamson" <jwilliamson@xxxxxxxx>
> To: "Matt Benjamin" <mbenjamin@xxxxxxxxxx>

Yes.  I experimented with this, but it didn't seem at all compact enough to be preferable to just building boost.  The latter, building just what Ceph uses from boost now, took less than a minute on a single core (i7).

> Just using the boost/container headers is also possible, at a bit of risk
> that if we try to build on a system where one of the dependencies is
> incompatible in some way, Ceph won't build (perhaps a fairly low risk, but
> I'm throwing it out there). If that risk is acceptable, then we wouldn't
> have a large set of headers, but in effect would still be shipping our own
> little mini-fork.

I experimented with this also.  What I found was that the number of boost internal (including unexposed) dependencies is much larger than container.  This is a marvel of efficiency for the boost library internally, but isn't helpful for extracting a single like small_vector.  In particular, conflicts with an installed boost are many.

> CMake looks like it has a module that can help us, and the general
> direction during an IRC chat was that we should do this as part of the
> move to cmake, rather than fidding with autoconf.

That seems like a good idea.

Matt