Re: building boost statically

On 01/05/2016, Sage Weil wrote:
> Given that this is the only piece we want immediately (that i know of),
> that there would be significant work to either pull boost inline as a
> submodule *or* to build and ship a proper package, let's go the bcp route
> for now.
>
> Jesse, is this something you can tackle?

I'm not sure if I like this idea. There are other places where I've
wanted to use something newer than the boost on Trusty Tahr/RHEL7, like
the newer intrusive_ptr. Some other people have mentioned wishing for
newer boost functionality, too.

If we're going to bundle anything at all, I'd rather we bundle the
whole thing so we get the full advantage of trying to swallow the extra
capacity. BCP sounds like we're signing up for just as much work and
maintenance burden and doesn't give us the full benefit.

--
Senior Software Engineer           Red Hat Storage, Ann Arbor, MI, US
IRC: Aemerson@{RedHat, OFTC, Freenode}