building boost statically

Hi all,

We'd really like to use the latest boost, mainly so that we can use
small_vector in a zillion places and avoid extra memory allocations.  The
distros, as always, are behind.

The thoguht is to bring it in as yet another submodule, build it
statically (it's pretty fast), and link statically.  There are a handful
of places where the distro boost links dynamically.  For example, on
xenial, it's

libboost-iostreams1.58.0
libboost-program-options1.58.0
libboost-random1.58.0
libboost-system1.58.0
libboost-thread1.58.0

I'm not sure how we should deal with that.  We could simply link it
statically.  Alternatively, we could ship packages.. but if we do that we
might as well just conditionally build against the new features and then
build a full set of backported boost packages for the distros we care
about.

I'm not sure how to best proceed.  But it would be really great to get
access to new boost features like small_vector...

sage